menu

NANCY HAZELGROVE




NANCY HAZELGROVE
I had a short passionate affair with Nancy. I was living in a communal house at 127 Hazelton Av.
After a month or so Nancy sort of moved in with me. using her studio for work. I really liked Nancy
and I liked her Art. She gave me a beautiful painting which I hung at the foot of my bed in my tiny room.
I was, to say the least, I was a bit of a free spirit at the time we met. I mostly made T-shirts for the bars and bikers and dealt a bit of drugs too.
Before Nancy, I had i variety of one-night stands and often if I came home alone someone would crawl into my bed
So settling down with Nancy was a bit of a shock. She seemed to be around more and more and organizing my life.
I ended the relationship it was difficult because I did like her. It was enough to set off a couple of days of heavy drinking and drugs.
So one morning I woke up kinda stoned as usual and my eyes won't focus on the painting. Then I realize that Nancy had replaced the painting with a collage of pigs. I laughed and laughed I got the point. I sure wish I had that painting. Hell, I wish I had the collage. I really liked her she was just too much for me at the time. 

I am really sorry she died so young. 
Nancy Hazelgrove remembered
On Thursday, September 7th at 3 pm, UTM’s Blackwood Gallery held a memorial service and solo exhibition to honour the artist and former curator Nancy Hazelgrove, who passed away on June 7th at the age of 54.
Nancy Hazelgrove was a professional artist and served as curator of the Blackwood Gallery between 1979 and 1984, and from 1988 to 1998.
As curator of the Blackwood, Nancy Hazelgrove was responsible for the formation of the art gallery advisory board, enhancing the Blackwood gallery’s permanent collection, and organizing traveling exhibitions across Canada as a part of the Grassroots program.

No comments:

Post a Comment