menu

Art Stories

Typical me

A few years and many Art Shows later I was dating an Artist (I tried but can't remember her name) who was showing at the Roberts Gallery. She was part of the Christmas group show and had two paintings in the show so she invited me to go to the opening with her. The show was at 8pm and at 7:30 we are in a large line waiting for the doors to open. It was cold and I had never seen anything like it. At 8 the doors open and everybody runs. So I run too  ?? to the bar. Nobody there. Everybody ran to the walls and had their hand on a painting. They sold every painting in minutes. Girl was a bit pissed at me.  But in all my years of going to Art Openings I never saw another one like this.They had a great bar.







Shame


I went with Nancy Hazelgrove.


She was a really good artist and a very nice person. I was living at the commune at 127 Hazelton. Nancy kind of fell for me and kind of moved in with me. she gave me a great painting that hung at the foot of my bed. I really liked her we got along well lots of the same intersts and great sex too. But she sort of took over my life and scared the shit out of me and with great difficulty I broke it off. So one morning I wake up kinda stoned as usual and my eyes wont focus on the painting. Then I realize that Nancy had replaced the painting with a collage of pigs. I laughed and laughed I got the point. I sure wish I had that painting. Hell I wish I had the collage. I really liked her she was just too much for me at the time. I am really sorry she died so young. 


Nancy Hazelgrove remembered


On Thurday, September 7th at 3 pm, UTM’s Blackwood gallery held a memorial service and solo exhibition to honour artist and former curator Nancy Hazelgrove, who passed away on June 7th at the age of 54.








Nancy Hazelgrove was a professional artist, and served as curator of the Blackwood Gallery between 1979 and 1984, and from 1988 to 1998.


As curator of the Blackwood, Nancy Hazelgrove was responsible for the formation of the art gallery advisory board, enhancing the Blackwood gallery’s permanent collection, and organizing traveling exhibitions across Canada as a part of the Grassroots programme.






.

In 1970 AGO put on Group of Seven show to celebrate their 50th anniversry. of the Group Of Seven. A bunch of us got together David Bolduc Greg Curnoe, Robert Markle , Mike Snow etc to help pay for T-shirts which I made. I got paid with artwork sometimes still got a few and owed a few.

Anyway we all wore our T-Shirts to the opening in homage to the Group A.Y Jackson was there and i think Arthur Lismer. I presented A.Y. with a Tshirt and I heard he wore it proudly at McMichaels on Sundays. I felt really good about it.








I was at a Michael Snow retrospective at the AGO and went back to a party at a huge house in Rosedale. I was wandering around upstairs looking for a washroom to smoke a joint in, when this guy grabbed me and pulled me into a room where we talked and smoked a couple of joints. I soon realized the guy was George Eaton. We were soon joined by his brother Thor with his wife and we smoked a bunch and went downstairs real giggly. We got drinks but I found out they didn't like to smooze. We sort of hid out in this big alcove under the stairway. Soon we were joined by their mother who basically went and got us drinks and sandwiches. So I am smoking dope and drinking with the Eaton boys and getting served by Lady Eaton. Waved at Michael  once in awhile. Good one Mike.


No comments:

Post a Comment