menu

Harold Town (not Harry, it's Harold)

Harold Town (not Harry, it's Harold)











I met Harold at the Pilot Tavern he was not a regular there.
we got into a long discussion and he invited me back to his place.
We go to the den and he takes 2 quarts of Scotch out of the cupboard and
he hands me one and a glass. We tour around the house looking at works of Art.
Mostly his, really impressive. We end up in the basement sitting on carousel horses which he collects. He also showed me an old x-ray machine he was experimenting with. (I think it might of killed him) And so we shot the shit til the scotch was gone. he got me some blankets and a couch to crash on. Not much to talk about the next morning heavy hangovers coffee and gone.
"Toronto is a one Town town".
I dropped in on Harold several times after midnight always welcomed with a bottle of Scotch.
I remember some people being there the next morning like wife kids? I was never introduced.
One night after the Pilot had closed I dropped in with Duke Redbird. he went ballistic. He told be not to bring any friends. Then he took a look at Duke. Hey, aren't you Redbird that guy trying to smarten up ACTRA.
I'd like to talk to you.
So I was forgiven. he gives Duke and I each a bottle of Scotch and we take the tour.

Only after most of the Scotch. Harold somehow becomes a native and is Duke's ally against the white man Me?
Harold described one of favorite moments paddling a canoe on a very foggy night in a friend's swimming pool in Claremont.
I liked Harold a lot he was creative and quite brilliant. he was difficult to be friends with. he was slighted easily and always critical. One night he did a sketch of me (I wish I had it) So I grabbed his drawing stuff and did one of him. "Hey that isn't bad." he said which is about as close to a compliment as you got.
I went his studio a few times it had been owned by AY Jackson at one time. it was full paintings everywhere he had bought an adjacent studio just for storage and that was full.

One night I was going to a party and I stopped by his place and asked if wanted to go. It was basically an Artist's party and they were usually pretty good back then. It took some prodding but he finally agreed. He was concerned that all Artists seemed to be taking verbal shots at him. He grabbed a bottle of Scotch and a bottle of Vodka and away we went. it was at a studio on Spadina. We got there about 11 and lasted an hour everybody was taking verbal shots at him and he wanted to go. I was driving so we grabbed the bottle of Vodka and took off up Spadina.
He swore he would never go to another "artist" party. Then he said Doesn't Iskowitz live around here?
I pulled over sure right here. I pointed up to a window. It was a hot summer night and Gershon's studio window was open and the light was on. So there is Town and screaming at the 3rd story window, GERSHON! ISKOWITZ! over and over. Gershon comes to the window and looks down at us and closes the window. We leave laughing.
I started doing a lot of sailing around then.
One night Harold said I could have his sailboat. He says it had been sitting at a boatyard in Kingston for a couple of years, He couldn't sail it himself and he was afraid it would rot away. He owned it with his dentist and Jack McLellland. He got their permission to give it to me. I was excited
It was a beauty from the photos a 40 ft yawl of some famous design. I gathered some sailing buddies and went down to Kingston to see it. It was beyond repair. it had sat outside uncovered for 3 years with the hatches open. It was a real shame.

I went sailing for 15 months in the Caribbean and sort of lost touch with Harold and he really never forgave me.
I ran into him at 22 once a few months before he died of cancer. He kind of gave me a hard time. Like some friend you are. he was as contemptuous of cancer as he was of anything but he wasn't the same it was wearing him down. I think of Harold often especially when I am being too critical.


No comments:

Post a Comment