menu

Deputy returning Officer July 8, 1974

 Deputy returning Officer July 8, 1974



I had just returned to Toronto and I was hanging around Grossman's. Al got jobs for Gord Jones, Krash and me as Deputy Returning Officers for the Conservative party. I ended up at an Italian house someplace south of Christie and Bloor.

I was on my own only the old grandmother was left at home and she spoke very little English. I managed to borrow a bible and set up the voting box and layout the voter list. It was slow going most of the day and the grandmother brought me a beer every couple of hours. It picked up about 4 o'clock and I had to turn away a couple of new citizens which was upsetting but those were the rules. When the polls closed a couple of scrutineers from the liberals and NDP showed up. The NDP guy really gave me a hard time which was funny. I assure you it was the fairest count possible. once it was sealed I waited to be picked up by then the rest of the extended Italian family was home. The grandfather asked if i wanted a drink. Sure I said he brought out some homemade liqueur and poured us both glasses.  After a couple drinks, he asked "Hey who you vote for? I told him I voted NDP. "I vote for Trudeau he said but who gives a fuck eh!"

No comments:

Post a Comment